One of my favorite things about yoga is that every lesson I have ever learned…
You’ve started a yoga practice. You feel great and you’re ready to add a little oomph to your practice, what can you do? Throw essential oils into the mix!
Many people say that of all five senses, our sense of smell is the strongest. Smell can trigger different reactions from our bodies and also links to memories we’ve made.
The use of essential oils within your yoga practice can be very beneficial. If you use the same oil or blends during your practice, the smell of that oil/blend can trigger to your mind that, “It’s time for yoga!” You can also use a variety oils and blends for different effects on the body, based on the goal of your practice. More citrus-based oils can be very uplifting + energizing, softer more floral scents can be more relaxing, and the earthy oils can be very grounding.
I love essential oils, I prefer topical application over all, but diffusing oils during your practice works well, too, as it will fill your entire space with the scent you choose.
To help you get started, here’s a list of my favorite oils to use during my yoga practice — and I even get specific on the practice I use each oil/blend for, to give you an idea of what you can try!
For pranayama (breathing techniques):
- Peppermint — the potency of peppermint clears congestion and allows you to feel strong and open in your breathing (who remembers the peppermint overload of Vicks Vaporub when you had a chest cold? *raises hand shamelessly* THAT. That is why I love peppermint during meditation/pranayama!)
- Eucalyptus — eucalyptus is an invigorating scent and will open airways to assist in breath control
During vinyasa, my essential oil preferences vary depending on the day. I’m going to break this down into TWO separate categories “when I need grounding” and “when I need energy.”
For vinyasa when I need grounding:
- Sandalwood — this is a very woodsy aroma. Seriously, this oil transports me to a wooded mountaintop.Woods are EARTHY. Earth = grounding. One of my favorite scents to use during yoga
- Frankincense — it’s usage dates back thousands of years, and this oil is known for it’s calming, stress-relief
For vinyasa when I need energy:
- Orange — like I mentioned earlier, citrus oils are very energetic. Using orange oil during a vinyasa practice is the perfect pick-me-up to uplift your mood
- En R Gee — this is a Young Living blend that’s a mood/energy booster consisting of 7 different oils and works wonders on battling lethargy
- Lavender — this is the OG in my essential oil collection. It’s an all-time favorite because it is the QUEEN relaxation oil for me. It’s the perfect aroma for calm + relaxation, which is exactly what I want when I’m meditating.
Do you use essential oils in your yoga practice? If you do, I’d love to know which ones are YOUR favorites to use. If you don’t, give it a try and let me know what you think
If you’re interested in essential oils — contact me through my CONNECT form — I’d love to chat with you! OR you can take a look at the Young Living website yourself. You can use my Member ID 11926813 if you decide to buy. If you aren’t sure what oils you need, connect with me and let’s discuss what oils will work best for YOU.